Thursday, June 7, 2007

Politeness

Today I had to visit a Hospital. The work also involved getting some endorsement by a particular person. As I stood in front of him, he took no notice that an infirm and sick person is waiting politely for his attention. After about ten minutes, during which time I saw that he is not busy with anything worthwhile, I drew his attention to my presence and he disposed off my need within 2 minutes. I would have been happier had he noticed my presence promptly and asked me to wait.

Why a majority of us have lost our sense of politeness, helpfulness and respect to fellow human being? We expect others to be prompt and polite to our needs.

However, the doctor who attended to me was prompt, patient (as I am slightly hard in hearing), helpful in suggestions and briefed me about everything I need to know since I was a first time visitor.

This confirms that like any other aspect, politeness is also present in varying degrees in all of us but is obscured in some atleast temporarily, due to various factors like overwork, temperment, public-dealing, lack of motivation in work place, etc.

I would request that we constantly evaluate our behaviour vis-a-vis our own expectation from others. Institutions should give orientation training and periodic refresher training to their employees, especially those who deal with public. Training should not be treated as bothersome as the employees will have to necessarily miss their duties during training period. Employees at all levels especially at lower levels should be exposed to training and a sense of self esteem created in them that they are also an important cog in the machinery and that their beheviour can make or mar the reputation of the institution.

More importantly, a great responsibility dwells on the parents to make their children imbibe correct values in their formative years. This would need setting personal examples in their own behaviour and actions. Likewise, in schools, especially at primarily level emphasis should be on discipline, politeness, ethical behaviour through exemplary behaviour by the Teachers.

Standing in a queue and waiting for one's turn, not minding minor irritations, not swearing at others even in trying conditions, not showing undue interest in others' affairs are some of the qualities that we are losing.

For example, in a ATM cubcile, only one person is expected to enter at one time and others should wait for their turn outside. What we see is that many enter simultaneously and peer over the shoulders as PIN is being punched. Nothing bad intented but plain misplaced curisity.

Let us think over. Let us present an ethical, correct and polite personality to others. This will make waves and move people to similar thinking.

Ponder...

3 comments:

Navin said...

Uncle,

Very good article...Something, i can use everyday...thank you for those thoughts... :)

Pooja said...

uncle,
really a wonderful article....this really is something that needs to be ondered upon....politness really has gone out of the window...patience is one of the qualities which is really becoming extinct with the new generation...

Smart-Alecky said...

Landed on your blog through my friends link.

Very well said. Politeness is something that changes the entire world around you. But the only problem is that when I am the only one polite, the others just sit on my shoulders and piss in my ears. That's is what I really really dislike being the lone one to be humble and polite and take the beating every now and then.

Just waiting, bidding my time until either everybody is polite or the world goes to dogs; and by the strange way of mother nature, I'll be long gone before any one can happen!!

Will be back.